Drawings by Sarah Postner / Travelokapi
Have you registered a watch for National Whale and Dolphin Watch and are you interested in becoming a Sea Watch National Whale and Dolphin watch observer?
We offer a fast, fun, and free online training that will help you get learning all you need to know about our recording forms to set up a successful land or boat watch.
The data you collect enable us at Sea Watch to increase our knowledge of cetaceans’ distribution, habitat use, anthropogenic pressures, and long-term population trends, allowing us to better conserve and protect cetacean species in our waters.
What are waiting for? Register today!
Live Online Training
Available upon request
- Learn how to collect records of whale, dolphin and porpoise (cetacean) species in UK waters
- Identify cetacean species in the wild
- Familiarize with environmental data e.g. sea state, wind, swell
- Recognize cetacean behaviour
- Practise with counting cetaceans in the wild
- Be able to use the Sea Watch Foundation recording forms to collect data on cetaceans and their natural environment and submit data to Sea Watch
- Two lectures, 1 hr in total
- Videos to practise with counting cetaceans, identifying environmental parameters, and behaviour
- Cetacean Identification Quiz to practise with species identification