A last minute opportunity has opened up for one intern placement to assist the Sea Watch Foundation (www.seawatchfoundation.org.uk) with the running of the “Cardigan Bay Monitoring Project”. The project is based in New Quay, West Wales, and takes care of the conservation management of the bottlenose dolphin, harbour porpoise and grey seal populations of Cardigan Bay, monitoring their abundance, distribution, reproductive success and population structure using a combination of line-transect, photo-identification, land-based and acoustic surveys.
Interns will help the Cardigan Bay Monitoring Officer and the Sightings Officer by taking part in the following tasks:
- Land-based surveys
- Boat-based surveys
- Photo-identification studies
- Database entry
- Awareness raising
- Education initiatives
- Acoustic monitoring
- Assist with and participate in training courses and public talks.
This placement is for seven weeks, between 27th of May to the 14th of July. Interns will be based in New Quay, West Wales. Accommodation is provided at a rate of £55/week. Interns are responsible for their own travel, accommodation and living expenses, but it is generally quite easy to obtain part-time paid work in the area if required.
- an ability to work in a meticulous and reliable manner
- strong commitment to volunteering work
- willingness to work long hours outdoors in often very changeable Welsh weather
- good IT skills (Office package)
- an ability to get on well with others in a small team and shared accommodation
- a background in marine biology/environmental science or similar
- a strong interest and knowledge of British cetaceans
- prior experience in boat-based survey work
- good verbal and written communication skills and in public speaking
- experience in interacting with the public
All interns will be trained in cetacean observation and identification, in line-transect survey protocols and photo-identification of bottlenose dolphins and grey seals.
Please send your CV, covering letter and contact details of two references, reporting any relevant experience you have to
Daphna Feingold – firstname.lastname@example.org
This will be on a FIRST COME FIRST SERVED basis.
Please specify NEW QUAY INTERN APPLICATION into your subject title.