Want to learn more about British cetaceans?
Our two-day Cetacean Survey Training Course will teach you all about Britain’s dolphins, whales and porpoises and how you can help us to study and conserve them.
On 26-27th June, our programme of land and boat-based work will teach you the skills you need for:
- identifying the various species of dolphin, whale and porpoise found in the area;
- counting how many animals are in each group you spot (not always as easy as you might think);
- how to distinguish between calves, juveniles and adults;
- determining cetacean behaviours (what they are busy with as you watch them)
- assessing sea state and other key environmental features.
- learning some basic photographic techniques to help you/us identify single individuals.
The course is based at our New Quay field office and is packed with information about the science and research methods used to survey cetaceans in UK waters and hands-on training.
A series of illustrated lectures and videos at our New Quay field office will:
- teach you about the general biology and classification of cetaceans;
- dive into species identification;
- explore the conservation issues facing UK cetaceans and recommended monitoring survey methods.
The practical element of the course will then combine land and boat-based surveys, teaching you how to conduct systematic watches and fill in standardised recording forms.
The land and boat-based surveys take place in the Cardigan Bay ‘Special Area of Conservation’ (SAC), an area well-known for the presence and high sighting frequency of Bottlenose Dolphins (the largest resident population in the UK), Harbour Porpoises and Grey Seals. These populations are protected in the SAC following the 1992 EU Species and Habitat Directive. Therefore, the practical experience you will receive conducting headland watches and boat surveys aboard a local research vessel will provide an unparalleled opportunity to see marine mammals in the wild while contributing to cetacean conservation in Britain.
To book your place or for more information, please email email@example.com
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS EVENT WILL BE SUBJECT TO WHATEVER COVID RESTRICTIONS ARE IN PLACE AT THE TIME. WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO CANCEL THE EVENT IF WE JUDGE IT IMPOSSIBLE TO HOLD THE EVENT SUCCESSFULLY WITHIN WHATEVER RESTRICTIONS MIGHT BE IN PLACE.