It’s here again, that time of year where we all look back over the last year and decide to come up with resolutions to make next year even more successful. Of course these usually consist of vowing to eat less chocolate, and hitting the gym more often – but what are the resolutions of a pro-active Sea Watch Volunteer? Here are a few ideas which may give you some inspiration:-
1. Like the Sea Watch on social media! We’re everywhere; Facebook, Instagram, You Tube and Twitter! Awareness is key and anything you ‘like’ or share on Facebook throughout the year will help us reach more and more people . For those residing in Wales, the Welsh Sea Watchers Group is always a hive of activity sharing breaking news and advertising local land watches and it’s also the perfect opportunity to meet other like-minded people who are crazy about cetaceans! You may like to set up a similar group in your local area.
2. Arrange a local beach clean – get all your family and friends to join in! Be sure to ask permission from the land owner and you can even contact the local authority or local community groups to get them involved.
3. Contribute to citizen science by downloading the and logging your dolphin sightings. You will be adding to one of the longest running sightings databases in the world and helping us improve our understanding of UK cetaceans!
4. Support dolphin conservation and gift a present that keeps on giving all year around! Adopt a Dolphin or become a and keep up to date with cetacean news all year around – all for less than the price of a cup of coffee per month!
5. All this still not enough? Then why not sign up for the Sea Watch interns programme? The perfect way to contribute directly to the vital research and protection work carried out in Cardigan Bay. Learn all about the residential bottlenose dolphin population and witness how they behave. What better way to spend your summer! Sun, sea and Sea Watch! Be aware, the first application deadline is in January, so don’t hesitate to apply.
Think you can do one of these? Or maybe even two? Trust us – every little bit that you can do will go a long way to help us in the important work that we do!
6. Sign up for Easy Fundraising and you can raise FREE donations for us every time you shop online. Over 4,000 shops and sites will donate to us when you use easyfundraising to shop with them – at no extra cost to yourself! These donations really mount up and make a big difference to us, so we’d really appreciate it if you could take a moment to sign up and support us. It’s completely free and only takes a moment.
Don’t forget, if you can think of anymore – spread the word and give all the other Sea Watch volunteers some inspiration by posting on the Sea Watch Facebook group!
Happy New Year from everyone at Sea Watch Foundation!