Orca Watch 2023 Kicks Off with a Bang!
The first day of Orca Watch 2023 was a roaring success! Our merchandise is flying off the shelves, and our volunteers are already hard at work conducting watches and collecting important data.
Saturday, 27th May was quiet in terms of sightings for most of the day, but at around 4:30 pm, orca were spotted from the coast by Scrabster. Some very lucky individuals raced down and got a great view of what is believed to be the 64 pod complete with juvenile orca!
Unfortunately for the project management team, we were on our way to set up for the Evening of Talks. Thankfully, our audience was not deterred by the orca, and over 100 people attended our event! We had an amazing lineup of talks. We were lucky enough to be able to launch the Orca Watch 2022 report for the very first time, which got everyone very excited for the data collection that we will be doing this week! We were also joined by Steve Truluck, Milly Revill Hayward from RSBP, and Julia Sutherland from EcoPredS for a well-rounded selection of talks covering all things about the local marine wildlife!
The evening was a huge success, and we are so grateful to everyone who came out to support Orca Watch. We are looking forward to a great week of data collection and learning more about these amazing creatures!
Here are some of the highlights from the first day of Orca Watch:
- Our merchandise sales were through the roof!
- Our volunteers were out in force, conducting watches and collecting data. We had huge numbers of observers in the field on Saturday, and we expect that number to grow throughout the week.
- The Evening of Talks was a huge success! We had over 100 people in attendance, and everyone enjoyed the talks.
We are so excited for the rest of Orca Watch! We are looking forward to learning more about these amazing creatures and sharing our knowledge with the public. We hope that you will join us for the rest of the week!
Here are some ways you can get involved with Orca Watch:
- Attend one of our watches. We have watches scheduled throughout the week.
- Donate to our organization. Your donation will help us continue our work to protect orcas.
- Spread the word about Orca Watch. Share our social media posts and encourage your friends and family to get involved.
Together, we can make a difference for orcas!
Juliet Maxted/ Orca Watch Communication Manager